ICMP Flood Protection
Lucas Hazel
2014-05-13 03:07:41 UTC
I had a question about ICMP flood protection mechanism on the S-series.

Does it include ICMPv6 and does it kick in before any higher level processing queues?

We are being impacted by a bug in the network driver of certain Dell computers that flood MLD listener report packets, which is causing performance issues on our distribution layer of S4s. We currently have a GTAC open and are hopeful that the recommended firmware upgrade will mitigate the performance issues. But this doesn’t change the fact that we are getting packet floods in our network (even if the firmware upgrade fixes performance issues).

There are possibly over 200 affected devices in our current fleet and I’m hoping that flood protection will prevent too many of these packets hitting the soft path while also allowing us to find devices presenting the bug.

--
Lucas Hazel
Communications Systems Officer

---