Multicast config
J***@westernmutual.com
2014-10-20 23:22:21 UTC
I'm trying to configure PIM-SM on a Enterasys N7 so Multicast traffic can
route from a server hanging off the N7 to a Vlan Trunk going to a Cisco
3750 where some phones are located.
I was just wondering if I could have another pair of eyes look at my
config because it's not currently working. This is what I have, please
tell me if I'm missing anything.

interface vlan 5 *** this is the vlan our computers sit on. It's here
because it's in the trunk going to the 3750
ip address 10.205.1.1 255.255.248.0
ip pim sparse-mode
interface vlan 10 *** this is the vlan our phones are on
ip address 10.210.1.1 255.255.248.0
ip pim sparse-mode
interface vlan 20 *** this is where the server is hanging off
ip address 10.220.1.1 255.255.248.0
ip pim sparse-mode

ip pim bsr-candidate vlan 5
ip pim rp-candidate 10.205.1.1 224.0.0.0 224.0.0.0

Joshua Sanders
Asst. Vice President - Systems Operations
Western Mutual Insurance Group
***@westernmutual.com

---
To unsubscribe from enterasys, send email to ***@unc.edu with the body: unsubscribe enterasys gneu-***@gmane.org
Yingst, Christopher
2014-10-21 13:10:04 UTC
Joshua,

You need IGMP as Dennis stated.

Set igmp enable <VID> <—All VLANs that will have clients/servers/or in path
Set igmp query-enable <VID> <— Only VLANs with Client/servers

I think you need to fix your “group mask” as well:

ip pim rp-candidate 10.205.1.1 224.0.0.0 255.0.0.0

Do you actually need that many multicast groups?

Regards,

Chris

From: "***@westernmutual.com<mailto:***@westernmutual.com>" <***@westernmutual.com<mailto:***@westernmutual.com>>
Date: Monday, October 20, 2014 at 7:22 PM
Subject: [enterasys] Multicast config

[...]

***@westernmutual.com<mailto:***@westernmutual.com>

________________________________
NOTICE - This communication may contain confidential and privileged information that is for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any viewing, copying or distribution of, or reliance on this message by unintended recipients is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer.

---
To unsubscribe from enterasys, send email to ***@unc.edu with the body: unsubscribe enterasys gneu-***@gmane.org
J***@westernmutual.com
2014-10-21 21:41:43 UTC
Dennis & Christopher,
Thanks for the replies. Would I want igmp query-enable on the vlan
with my phones as well?

J***@westernmutual.com
2014-10-21 21:47:25 UTC
Nevermind, answered my own question. No need to limit the multicast
traffic on that vlan.....flood away!!!

----- Forwarded by Joshua Sanders/Western Mutual on 10/21/2014 02:46 PM
-----

Yingst, Christopher
2014-10-21 23:45:01 UTC
The only place you do NOT need igmp-query is point to point routed interfaces in the path that the multicast will take. Or any interface where there will be no users doing igmp joins/leaves.

Regards,

Chris

Chris Yingst
Consultant