Netsight EngineID
Nick Allen
2014-06-04 10:56:35 UTC

I re-installed Netsight a while ago and since then SNMP v3 Informs aren't
working even though they were working fine before from all our C-series,
N-series and S-series switches.
SNMP v3 with authPriv is working fine, it's just Informs aren't.

The Traps section of Netsight frustratingly remains on "Unable to find
events in log file".

The IP address of the server changed, so I updated the command:
set snmp targetaddress ...
...on each switch.

However, I'm not sure if I'm using the correct SNMP engineID in the configs
- ie. the engineID of the Netsight server - as I'm not certain where this
is stored.

locate shows there's two snmptrapd.conf files:

***@netsight.uk-group.net:~$ locate snmptrapd.conf
/etc/snmp/snmptrapd.conf
/usr/local/Enterasys_Networks/Netsight/appdata/snmptrapd.conf
/usr/local/Enterasys_Networks/Netsight/services/snmptrapd.conf

1) /etc/snmp/snmptrapd.conf is empty except for commented out info

2) /usr/local/Enterasys_Networks/Netsight/appdata/snmptrapd.conf contains
just one non-commented line - this was setup in NetSight under "Trap
Receiver Configuration" :

createuser myremoteuser MD5 myMD5pass DES myDESpass

3) /usr/local/Enterasys_Networks/Netsight/services/snmptrapd.conf contains
just two non-commented lines:

engineBoots 19
oldEngineID 0x80001f88801146ad4ad48d895100000000

(not sure why that oldEngineID seems to have too many digits in it)

If I restart the trap service as follows:

***@netsight.uk-group.net:~$ service nssnmptrapd restart
Stopping nssnmptrapd daemon service.[SUCCESS]

Starting nssnmptrapd daemon service.
[SUCCESS]

Then this increments the engineBoots value in #3 above so it obviously does
use this file even though that's not the one with the createuser command in
it - so presumably both files are used.

My N7 snmp config has a corresponding entry like this:

set snmp user myremoteuser remote 80:00:1f:88:80:11:46:ad:4a:d4:8d:89:51
authentication md5 :hash_for_myMD5pass: privacy :hash_for_myDESpass:

But as I mentioned, I'm not sure if that's the correct engineID of the
Netsight server.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Nick.
--
This e-mail is intended only for the named person or entity to which it is addressed and
contains valuable business information that is proprietary, privileged, confidential and/or

---
To unsubscribe from enterasys, send email to ***@unc.edu with the body: unsubscribe enterasys gneu-***@gmane.org
John Kaftan
2014-06-04 12:06:49 UTC
Nick:

Try right clicking on your switch in Netsight and then choosing "Trap
Receiver Configuration". Then hit the Help button and it will tell you all
about it. It has been awhile since I have done this so I am fuzzy but
reading through this doc the following line jumped out at me.

"Inform messages require only a User ID and Credentials for a user
configured on the device. You should not configure an Engine ID for devices
sending Inform messages."

John
Hi,
IT Infrastructure Manager
Utica College

---
Nick Allen
2014-06-04 14:07:49 UTC
Hi John,

Thanks for the input, although I'm afraid this isn't the answer - that bit
is already configured.

We prefer Informs over Traps as they require an acknowledgement - if the
NetSight server goes down when a trap is sent, the trap is lost.
Since Informs require an acknowledgement they will be resent if receipt is
unacknowledged (by Netsight)

With v3 Traps - which we used to use - the format of the createuser command
is:

createUser -e engine-id username (MD5|SHA) passphrase [DES passphrase]

ie. the engineID of the SENDING switches must be configured here on the
RECEIVING device - ie. Netsight.
In other words, there must be one of these commands for every switch since
they all have unique engineID's. 20 switches = 20 of these commands in
Netsight.

With v3 Informs, as you rightly pointed out, the engineID is not necessary
on the Netsight end - instead, the engineID of the RECEIVING device must be
entered on the SENDING device.
So, in Netsight, for v3 Informs, the format of the createuser command is:

createUser username (MD5|SHA) passphrase [DES passphrase]

Therefore this is one single command in Netsight and an extra line of
config on each switch instead - and it's that line of config on each switch
that needs the engineID of the Netsight server, which I don't have...!

N.

Nick Allen
IT Director

76-80 Whitfield Street
London, W1T 4EZ

Direct: +44 20 7573 6792
Mobile: +44 7970 121 609
Main: +44 20 7573 6500
Google Chat: ***@tbwa.com

Reg. Office: TBWA UK GROUP Ltd, 239 Old Marylebone Road, London, NW1 5QT
Company Reg. #: 4332188 (UK)
Company VAT #: GB 656 8994 61
Post by John Kaftan
Try right clicking on your switch in Netsight and then choosing "Trap
Receiver Configuration". Then hit the Help button and it will tell you all
about it. It has been awhile since I have done this so I am fuzzy but
reading through this doc the following line jumped out at me.
"Inform messages require only a User ID and Credentials for a user
configured on the device. You should not configure an Engine ID for devices
sending Inform messages."
John
Hi,